Truck accidents cause many injuries and fatalities every year. As a driver who is in a passenger vehicle, you probably already realize that a crash involving a truck could kill you or result in serious injuries. Your vehicle simply isn’t as heavy as the truck, which means it’s more likely to be crushed under the weight of the other vehicle.
Every year, there are around 3,598 crashes resulting in fatalities caused by truck drivers. Most of the crashes that involve these drivers and result in a fatality take place on rural or urban interstates. Some take place on rural roads as well.
When do truck crashes take place most of the time?
In around 35 percent of all cases, the collisions happen at night between the hours of 6:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. That means that the other 65 percent take place during the daytime when many other people are on the roads.
What is the major cause of injuries in truck crashes?
Interestingly, in 4 percent of fatal crashes, a rollover is the first harmful event that takes place. 2015’s statistics show that there are, on average, 1.13 fatalities in fatal crashes that involve trucks. In the majority of those cases, there was only one fatality.
Truck crashes are, on the whole, avoidable collisions. Drivers need to be aware of their surroundings and to stay under the speed limit. Getting enough sleep also makes a difference and can help drivers stay more alert behind the wheel.
If you’ve been hit by a truck driver, there is help available for you. Our website has more information.