I Was Hurt at Work- What Do I Do?

1) Report the injury right away

Kentucky law requires an injured worker to notify their employer about a work injury as soon as "reasonable." What is "reasonable" depends on the facts of your case. The best practice is to notify your employer the same day as the injury. Be sure to inform a supervisor or other higher-up with your employer and follow up with them to make sure they reported it to the right people at the company. Try to document your notice in writing like in an email or text message, so you have proof of the notice. Many people have an injury at work that they hope is no big deal and goes away within a few days or weeks, but when they realize it's something more significant than that, it's too late. That's why you should report every injury to your employer right away, no matter how big or small.

2) Seek treatment

Injured workers are entitled to payment of their medical expenses for their work-related injuries. Frequently, employers will have work injury clinics they send their injured workers to or other similar preferred providers. Those providers can get you the help you need. Still, generally speaking, injured workers can treat with any provider they choose, including your primary care doctor or any office your doctor refers you to. Usually, your doctors will be more willing to give you the work restriction or off work notes you need and get you to other doctors who will have YOUR best interests in mind, not the workers' compensation insurance company who pays the bill.

3) Make sure your workers’ compensation claim is set up

To get treatment and other benefits you're entitled to such as 2/3 of your wages while you're unable to work, you will need a claim set up with your employer's workers' compensation carrier. Usually, your employer will report the injury and start the process of setting up a claim, but not always. You should receive a claim number and adjuster contact information for your claim within days or even hours of the injury being reported. Without a claim number, you may not be able to get treatment or benefits so make sure your employer has done their job in setting up a claim and if they haven't or you're not sure, contact the Kentucky Department of Workers' Claims at (502) 564-5550 for help.

4) Get a lawyer

As with all other claims, the insurance companies know the law, and they know you do not. They will try to take advantage of you and get you to admit to things that hurt your claim, talk you into going to doctors who are on their side, mislead you about what benefits you're entitled to, and other things that only help them. The only way to truly protect yourself and make sure you're getting everything you're entitled to under the law is to contact a lawyer as soon as you're involved in a work accident. Don't wait until you have a problem that cannot be fixed!

Reach Out To Us For Help

We work closely with our clients and offer vigorous representation both in and out of the courtroom. If you would like to learn more about our services, please reach out to our office today.

You can contact our lawyers in Louisville at 502-806-8711 or contact us online. Initial consultations are always free.


Learn How We Can Help

Consultation with an Attorney

If you would like to speak with an attorney, reach out to us. You can call our firm at 502-273-5178 or contact us online.

The information contained in this website is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any matter. The transmission and receipt of information contained on this website, in whole or in part, or communication with the Dixie Law Group, PSC via the Internet or e-mail through this website does not constitute or create a lawyer-client relationship between this firm and any recipient. You should not send any confidential information in response to this webpage. Such responses will not create a lawyer-client relationship, and whatever you disclose will not be privileged or confidential unless this firm has agreed to act as your legal counsel and you have executed a written engagement agreement with Dixie Law Group, PSC.